Sunday, March 23, 2014

Recipe of the Week - Skinny Baked Shrimp Scampi with Spaghetti Squash

We have a Shrimp Scampi recipe in our regular rotation that's beyond good.  Its has LOTS of butter (12 tablespoons) and we devour it like crazy people.  I was planning to make it again this weekend but then I realized that my jeans are tight enough, and it might be time to scale things back a bit.  So off to Pinterest I went looking for a skinnier version and that is where I found Pineapple and Coconut's Skinny Baked Shrimp Scampi with Spaghetti Squash.  I was a lil nervous at the reaction I would get from everyone going from 12 tablespoons to 2 tablespoons of butter BUT this was a huge hit!  I loved it.  The Hubs loved it.  The teen loved it (although he wasn't interested in the squash).  It was everything I hoped and more.  Easy to make, healthy, and tasty.   I even enjoyed the squash and kept scooping out spoonfuls of it while I was cleaning up.   It looks so yummy doesn't it...



Here is the link for the recipe for Pineapple and Coconut's Skinny Baked Shrimp Scampi.   And my alterations... I did not have any Kerrygold butter or cheese so I used the unsalted butter I had on hand and some shredded white cheddar cheese.  You can see in the picture that I only sprinkled cheese on half of the top (the right side) because I really didn't feel like it was going to need any cheese, the shrimp looked so yummy on their own.  I also sprinkled just a little bit of panko bread crumbs on that side but I think next time I would omit both of those and just use the 3/4 cup of cheese mixed within the squash.  Also, I did not have the white wine vinegar but I did have white cooking wine so that it what I used.  Next time I may try to find the Kerrygold cheese and use the vinegar and see if it can actually improve this yummy recipe. 

I will definitely be checking out some more of Pineapple and Coconuts "healthy eats & sweet treats".  A+  

And for those of you who are not watching your weight and think 12 tablespoons of butter is just what you need (it really is very good), here is the original scampi recipe we use from Food Network: Baked Shrimp Scampi

No comments:

Post a Comment